Led by the Choosing Wisely at Island Health Oversight Committee, Island Health is committed to achieving Quality Improvement Designation as a Choosing Wisely Canada Hospital. Our three main areas of focus include Using Blood Wisely, Using Labs Wisely, and reducing antipsychotic prescribing for seniors with insomnia in acute care.
To further this work, the Oversight Committee is looking for site-based champions to share the Choosing Wisely messaging, promote knowledge to action, and contribute to the success of these important project in the emergency department and in-patient settings at all sites across the Island
Particular areas of focus are:
- Antipsychotic prescribing for insomnia in seniors in acute care
- Inpatient single unit red cell transfusion
- Inpatient and Emergency Department AST orders (unbundling from ALT)
- Inpatient and Emergency Department coagulation testing
- Inpatient and Emergency Department urea orders (unbundling from creatinine)
See the Report PORTAL for your site-based measures for each of these initiatives. *Island Health login required*
There is HSR funding available for fully-licensed FPs and SPs. Please email MedStaffQI@islandhealth.ca to learn more.
For the most up to date news on Choosing Wisely at Island Health, please visit our Choosing Wisely at Island Health page on the Medical Staff Website.